Our shoulders have the most complex joints in our body. This enables us to use our shoulders in a wide variety of motions. This is composed of several joints, muscles, and bones—Ables us to perform different activities in our daily life.
The shoulder comprises three prominent bones: the long arm, collarbone, and shoulder blade. Cartilage cushioned our bones. Our shoulders also have two main joints known as the shoulder joints, which have the most mobile joint in our body. These joints would move our shoulders backwards and forward, in a circular motion, and move up and down and away from the body.
Mobility is what makes our life easier. But constant moving like manual labour, playing sports and even simple movements can damage or affect the soft tissues in our shoulders. If this happens, you may feel pain whenever you move your shoulders. The pain can be temporary or long-term. Simple remedies can cure temporary pain; long-term pain requires more treatment.
Our daily activities rely primarily on our shoulders. But often, we fail to realize it until it becomes injured or out of alignment. However, a few appointments with your chiropractors might help relieve shoulder pain.
Chiropractors are trained professionals whose expertise is in treating patients with musculoskeletal and nervous disorders. Their treatment focuses on adequately taking good care of your joints, cartilage, bones, ligaments, tendons and connective tissues.
Taking medications can relieve your pain, but if the injury is not yet resolved, that may affect your body over time. Knowing the common causes of shoulder pain is essential to address it adequately as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
Injuries are the last thing we ever wanted to happen to us. However, some things are inevitable, accidents can happen anywhere and everywhere. Shoulder pains are one of the results of these injuries. Below are common causes of shoulder pain that may affect our daily routine.
- Rotator cuff tendinitis. A rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons. This enables you to lift your arms and hold them in place. This is one of the most widespread causes of shoulder pain. This is due to swollen tendons. Aging can also be the reason for this. Pain when lifting objects is a common symptom of this.
- Impingement syndrome. This happens when tendons in the shoulder’s rotator cuff are suddenly stuck between the upper arm and shoulder.
- Inflammation of fluid-filled sac that protects the joints. This is characterized by swelling and painfulness of the shoulder. This is primarily due to infection or injury. Realignment can happen anytime that may result in inflammation, muscle spasms, and excruciating pain.
- Abnormal movement of the shoulders that results from nerve injuries.
- Stiff or frozen shoulders. Proper composure is needed to prevent stiff or rigid shoulders. Poor posture due to a long period of sitting may cause postural syndrome. If you are experiencing stiff and firm shoulders, your muscles might have tension.
- Overuse of the arms can cause the tendons to be injured.
- Dislocation and shoulder separation. Dislocation may happen when your shoulder is pulled out hardly or rotated too far. Too much pain and weakness in your shoulder might be your first feeling. Your shoulder might feel numb, swell, and bruise. Shoulder separation happens when your collarbone gets pushed out of place.
- Broken bone or fracture. This usually happens when a patient experiences an accident. Broken collarbones may lead to sagging of the shoulder. If this happens, you might have difficulties moving or lifting your arm.
- Osteoarthritis. The most common form of arthritis usually happens to elderlies. However, this may also happen to people with damaged bones and shoulder cartilage.
- Rheumatoid arthritis. This happens because your immune system attacks the lining of your joints. With this, you may feel stiffness and pain in your shoulder.
- Referred pain. Problems in your other parts of the body may affect the joints in your shoulder. An example is when your shoulder hurts when there’s nothing wrong with it. This might indicate a problem with your bladder, liver, or other organs.
How do chiropractors help with shoulder pain?
The most crucial step in treating your shoulder pain is to know the cause. Chiropractors need to know the cause of your pain. Chiropractors use a variety of ways to see the reason why you are in pain. They might ask you some questions regarding your lifestyle, and you may undergo diagnostic exams involving orthopedic tests to check your muscles. In some cases, chiropractors might recommend you for imaging tests such as CT scans, MIR, and X-rays before they come up with the proper treatment that is suitable for you.
Chiropractors are influenced by the belief that our body has the ability to heal itself. And the study shows its effectiveness.
However, chiropractors might also recommend herbal anti-inflammatories. Chiropractors widely use this healing process, which is known as chiropractic treatment. This treatment is effective in helping the patient relieve pain that affects the connective tissues, joints, muscles, bones, and cartilage.
Physical therapy and chiropractic treatment are often associated because they have similarities and may benefit patients if treated using both medicines.
Chiropractors can treat most shoulder injuries, including bursitis, which can take months of therapy. This inflammation can reoccur. That is why regular chiropractic therapy is highly suggested.
Some believe that the only way to heal a rotator cuff injury is through undergoing surgery. In this case, chiropractors use chiropractic massage to relax muscles and release trigger points that can trigger another inflammation.
Frozen shoulder can also be added to the list of shoulder pains that can heal by chiropractic therapy. Chiropractors might suggest some exercises to eliminate the stiffness of your shoulders.
Chiropractors realign not just your spines but also other extremities like shoulders to lessen the pain. And have treatments that decrease pain.
Chiropractic therapy will help relax your body and improve blood circulation. They can also know the cause of your shoulder pain, which is something a massage therapist cannot do. Early signs of pain should be prevented if you visit your chiropractors as soon as possible. So, if you are thinking of looking for experienced chiropractors, our experts can help you. Visit us at Peak Potential Family Chiropractic- Houston Heights. We have the best-experienced chiropractors ready to help you.